Saturday 28 July 2012

Olympic Triathlon Jul 2012



Gosfield Park Olympic Distance Triathlon
July 2012

I decided in the spring 2012 that after a year and a bit of sprint triathlons it was time to try and do an Olympic distance one. So I entered Gosfield Park -1500/40/10. The swim, as any of you who have seen me try, worried me. So last week I invested in a couple of one to one lessons at my local pool, where I discovered my head position is wrong, my core is not engaged, my breathing is forced, I don’t relax (I knew that one), my legs are wrong and my arms do too much work. Suggestions were made, which I tried to absorb. New tricks and old dogs sprang to mind.

Race report: I arrived and met up with Stuart and Sarah Mackintosh, and Steve Hunt from TSE. Good, friendly faces! I then discovered that for some reason I was in wave 3 of 3, about 40 swimmers per wave. Damn. I’ll be one of the last on the course. Weather was OK – cool, overcast, odd spot of rain. Get in the lake for my start, swim a few meters to get a feel, and immediately begin to wonder why I was there. A minute before the start I realise I’m on the start line, in the middle, with a load of swimmers behind me. Move rapidly to the side. Gun goes, we’re off. After 150m or so I realise there aren’t that many behind me and that I can’t swim straight. Correct my course. After 250 metres I begin to think that I can’t do it. I focus on my teacher’s tips re breathing, trying to think of nothing else. Until I remember to look up and realise I’m off course again.

I then get into a rhythm. Breathe in, hold, exhale, repeat. Sight the buoy after 10 strokes or so. Soonish it was time to turn around. I’m at the back, but not last. Focus on breathing. I don’t swim well technically, I realise. I’m not engaging my core. Start to try and focus on my legs, so mess up my breathing. Get back to basics, and relax, and breathe. Decide that the day was about completing 1500m and I couldn’t expect to hold technique too. Actually overtake some stragglers from the group ahead.

Almost before I know it I’ve finished, and realise that *I could have carried on*. This is a major breakthrough. Swim time 34 minutes.

Wobble to the bike, wetsuit off, helmet on, shoes on, race number on and head off on the bike. My target is to average over 30km/h for the 40km. Which I do – 30.3 to be exact. So take roughly 1hr20 for the ride.

Off the bike, running shoes on, and set off. It was a semi cross country course, with muddy paths in fields etc. I now have a problem. My legs are not too clever. Look at my watch, 10.5km/h. D@mn – hoping to start at over 11, as per my usual easy training speed. Keep pushing. D@mn mud, puddles, overhanging trees. Watch starts beeping – I’ve dropped to under 10km/h! Push again. Legs still feel not too clever. 2 laps of a course, and yes, felt like forever.

I keep pushing, and finishing line in sight at last. Put a *slight* sprint in. The run took about 58m. For 10k. Oh well, at least it’s a personal best.

So how did I do? The time was 2hr52’40”. Overall I came 66/87 finishers – 10 guys failed to complete the course that started. In my age group, 41 and over, I came 37/56. For just the swim I came 76/87! I’m chuffed I actually beat some other swimmers.

After the race Stuart, Sarah, Steve and myself met up, and devoured (only word for it) some fantastic burgers from the on-site burger van. Rarely has such a burger tasted as good as that.

So what did I learn? I can swim a decent distance, and once I put the lessons into my stroke without thinking I will be able to knock a significant time off my swim. Bike was good – I’m happy, with my current bike set up, with the speed. The run – well, I could have done better but only if I’d trained more!

Actually, isn’t that all our mantras? We could do better if we train more.........


No comments: